Monday, September 13, 2010

Meal Planning and Budgeting

We’ve started trying to plan our meals two weeks in advance, and only shopping for those two weeks at a time.  So far, it has been going OK.  It’s not easy to meal plan a variety of meals so that we don’t get bored with the same ol’ same ol’ but it’s working.  SO far, I have one week pretty much done, but need to do next weeks.  I have a few blogs that I visit that have great recipes on them.  I’m hoping that once I get a couple months of this under my belt, so to speak, I’ll be able to rotate in new meals and out old meals.  So far, we’ve done this for two weeks and it’s worked out pretty well.  No more “What’s for dinner?  I don’t know, what do you want?  I don’t know, what do YOU want?”  So far, the only thing that we have cooked that we do NOT like, is Tyler Florence’s Ultimate Lasagna.  I can’t really explain WHY we didn’t like it.  It has a unique flavor, but I think it was because there really wasn’t enough SAUCE.

Here is the menu for this week:

Monday - Tonight is the neighborhood potluck, we cheated and bought a Red Velvet Cake to bring with us LOL.
Tuesday - Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce; Roasted Potato Wedges; Sauteed Spinach.  This is one that we missed out on during our last meal plan, so I added it to this weeks.
Wednesday - Apricot Balsamic Chicken; Lemon & Tomato pasta; undecided veggie.  This is a new recipe for us.  It looks like it’s absolutely delicious and easy to make!
Thursday - Chicken Fried Steak; Lemon Garlic Brussel Sprouts; Rice or Pasta
Friday - Taco Bar!  YUM!
Saturday - Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu
Sunday - my friend Terry’s German Meatballs.  They are YUMM-O!

Stay tuned for next weeks menu!


1 comment:

  1. We to are trying to do meal planning 2 weeks at a time - it's a lot harder than I thought! I am totally NOT a chef and my go to dishes are limited and not as healthy as I would like. Here's hoping we get the hang of it!

    P.S. - I'm super stoked to be your first follower! :)

    ReplyDelete